BNP Paribas Anti-Bribery and Corruption
BNP Paribas defined and implemented a system for detecting, preventing and combating Corruption that consists of the following measures and procedures:
- BNP Paribas Group Management has a “zero tolerance” policy, accessible to everyone, to every employee, with regards to corruption and influence peddling;
- Dedicated governance, supported by an international network of anti-corruption correspondents;
- A Corruption detection and prevention programme, based on regularly updated risk mapping;
- Procedures and controls that are reviewed on a regular basis;
- The Group Code of Conduct including an Anti-Corruption Addendum: “Fighting Corruption”;
- Training and awareness-raising campaigns;
- An internal whistleblowing system;
- A disciplinary regime in the event of employee breaches.
The BNP Paribas Group Anti-Bribery and Corruption Procedures, are based on the Sapin II Law (French anti-corruption law) as well as the Portuguese law (DL n.º 109-E/2021, de 09 de Dezembro), which add-ons have been included in its the Framework.
What is corruption?
BNP Paribas defines an act of corruption as offering, giving, soliciting or accepting, directly or indirectly, an undue advantage (or promise of an undue advantage) of whatever nature that may affect the proper exercise of a function or the conduct required of the holder of the function concerned (whether in the public or private sector).
- Internal corruption refers to the active or passive participation of a BNP Paribas employee in an act of corruption whether in his/her own interests or those of the Group.
- External corruption refers to cases where the probity and independence of a BNP Paribas employee is not called into question.
The BNP Paribas Group, its Senior Executives and all its employees at all levels (including external employees) must not only have zero tolerance for Corruption, but they must actively fight it. Thus, any form of Corruption is totally prohibited and must be reported, not only acts involving an employee (whether to obtain a personal benefit or for the Group) but also acts that may involve our customers or partners and that we may become aware of during a transaction carried out as part of BNP Paribas Group activities.
For more information regarding the BNP Paribas Group Anti-Bribery and Corruption practices please consult the BNP Paribas Code of Conduct Addendum: “Fighting Corruption”.