Corporate and Social Responsibility Strategy
BNP Paribas is committed for a positive impact
Positive Impact Business at BNP Paribas – what does this entail ?
In recent years, BNP Paribas has considerably stepped up its engagement towards the sustainable development of society. An ambition that naturally became the Group’s purpose, integrating its strategic plan, with eyes on the long term and action in favour of the sustainable growth of the economy, preserving the health of the Planet and increasing the well-being of people.
The commitment to the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is at the centre of our Group’s strategic plan.
A common Group effort
Launched in September 2015 by the UN, the Sustainable Development Goals aim to end poverty by 2030 while protecting our planet’s environment. As a global company and Bank, BNP Paribas has a key role to play in this collective effort. Our Corporate & Social Responsibility (CSR) approach allows us to take part in building a sustainable future while promoting the Group’s performance and stability.
A committed and responsible bank
Only by joining forces, the BNP Paribas Group as a whole can make a difference in positively impacting the economy, the society and the environment.
- 9, the number of indicators we use to coordinate our CSR efforts. These indicators are used to determine the amount of the variable incentive plan for the Group’s 5,000 Top Managers, counting for 20% of the eligibility conditions.
- €17.8 billion in funding allocated by the Group to the renewable energy sector in 2020. We are committed to raising this figure to €18 billion in 2021.
- €188 billion of corporate financing contributing to the energy transition and to sectors considered as contributing directly to the achievement of UN SDGs in 2020.
- The Cooler Planet programme builds in an integrated approach to the management of its Premises and People, its Clients Solutions and its Impacts on the Society, with the final goal of providing a significant contribution to the country’s commitment to achieve Carbon Neutrality by 2050.
2025 Strategic plan
BNP Paribas is launching its 2025 strategic plan with the ambition to consolidate its European leadership to accelerate our clients’ transition to a sustainable economy.
Together with the publication of the first quarter 2022 results, the Group has also published a presentation to detail projects and initiatives related to the “Technology” and “Sustainability” pillars.
These presentations are available on the website dedicated to the investors.
A continuous development at the service of clients and society
Built on the success of its 2017-2020 plan, and on the essential support it provided to the economy during the health crisis, the Group is continuing its development at the service of its clients, the economy and society.
GROWTH: Continue to develop profitable growth by leveraging the Group’s leading positions in Europe.
TECHNOLOGY: Technology for optimised client/employee experiences and operating efficiency.
SUSTAINABILITY: Accelerated mobilisation of the Group’s businesses on sustainable finance issues.
Fueled by a powerful model and built on three pillars
With its leading platforms in Europe built across businesses, strategically aligned to best serve clients and partners, with the full benefit of our integrated and transformed operating model, BNP Paribas is building on three pillars.
- Technology and industrialisation at the heart of our model
- Deployment of sustainable finance and ESG at scale
- Development of employees’ potential and engagement
In order to foster organic growth, gain market shares, develop new opportunities and generate economies of scale.
Through its solid positioning, BNP Paribas intends, with its 2025 GTS plan, to accelerate its dynamic transformation and strengthen its position, so as to pursue growth and start a new, ambitious chapter in its development in order to: consolidate the Group’s European leadership, to accelerate its clients’ transition to a sustainable economy.
For a better future
Discover what we do to put in action our economic, social, civic and environmental responsibility
Our local strategy
Our local Corporate & Social Responsibility approach formalises how we are taking part in building a sustainable future whilst contributing to BNP Paribas Portugal’s objectives and employer promise.
In Portugal, the Bank materialises its global ambition in the engagement with local stakeholders. Through the BNP Paribas Foundation, the Bank supports two projects within its paramount program:
- Dream Up: fostering youth social inclusion through artistic practice. Launched in 2015, it was developed with a view to the social inclusion of children and young people through learning and regular practice of artistic expression activities. Since 2021 that supports the project: Iminente Bairros: Oficinas Artísticas Comunitárias, for a period of 3 years. I am quite proud to see Dream Up and Iminente linked to the gifted artist Vhils.
- Supporting the integration of refugees: promoting the talents and skills of refugees and migrants during the years 2022 to 2024 by offering them access to education, language classes and job training. In Portugal, for its first edition the BNP Paribas Foundation supports the JRS (Jesuit Refugee Service) Association.
In 2015, the journey of implementing an Environmental Management System across its premises in the country began, with two of our buildings having obtained ISO 14001:2015 certificates in 2017 and 2019. In the end of 2020, two more buildings in Lisbon and Porto have obtained the same certification, as well as all the BNP Paribas entities (certificates available here and here) that run their activities from those sites. Meet the Group’s Environmental and Energy Policy for Portugal (English version and Portuguese version).