Towards Portugal’s carbon neutrality 2050
As an already carbon neutral company, BNP Paribas Portugal kicked off the Cooler Planet programme in 2018 aiming to contribute to the Portugal’s Carbon Neutrality 2050 goal announced by the Government after signing the Paris Agreement.
To support this goal, BNP Paribas needs to:
- Keep reducing the emissions resulting from its own activity
- Support its clients in moving to a decarbonised economy
- Offer consistent support to community by:
- Reforestation programmes
- Climate change education and awareness initiatives
Leverage our commitment to the environment
“BNP Paribas is strongly committed to lead in the transition to a more sustainable world. At a global level we have become Carbon neutral in 2017, and I am very proud of the recognition of our Environmental Management System at Art’s building with the ISO 14001 certificate, showing that we are heading in the right direction. We will extend this experience to the other buildings and other entities of the Group in Portugal over the next years.”
Fabrice Segui CEO
BNP Paribas Portugal
This programme is organised in three pillars to fully achieve carbon neutrality objectives.
OUR PREMISES AND PEOPLE
Reduce significantly the direct environmental impacts of BNP Paribas operations in Portugal, aligned with the Group’s goals.
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System certified in 2017 in Art’s building, being deployed to all the main BNP Paribas buildings in Portugal
- Single use plastic cups elimination started in 2017 and concluded in 2019
- Uniform environmental reporting methodology for BNP Paribas Portugal buildings
OUR CLIENTS’ SOLUTIONS
Develop a local business approach focused on sustainable products and services that contribute effectively to the Portugal 2050 carbon neutrality programme.
- Cetelem electric car 0% interest rate campaign in early 2019
- Arval’s innovative approach SMaRT – Sustainable Mobility and Responsibility Targets – to help clients define and implement their fleet energy transition strategy.
OUR IMPACT ON SOCIETY
Offset the negative impacts of our activities via the establishment of a long-term commitment to the community, partnering with public authorities and NGOs, engaging our employees in volunteer nature protection actions and education initiatives to raise awareness to the necessity of fighting climate change.
- Yes We Plant! Yearly volunteering reforestation activity
- Apps for Good Cooler Planet Award – financing an app developed by students to solve an environmental problem
- Cooler Planet Goes to School – Environmental education of a school community in Lisbon Metropolitan Area
- On The Verge Mission
As part of BNP Paribas Portugal’s endeavour to promote a sustainable future, it has been partners with Apps for Good since 2017. Apps for Good is an education programme implemented in the Portuguese school system, that aims at educating young learners for an ever more technological future, with a strong commitment to sustainability. For the first time, BNP Paribas was the sponsor of the Cooler Planet Award, an award that distinguishes the best designed app, which offers an attainable solution with the purpose of protecting the environment and combating climate change.
This year’s winners were Invasoras CV, a team that developped an app with a gamification component to identify, tackle and control the growth of non-native, invasive plant species in the country. The entire process is an efficient way to build territorial resilience to the effects of climate change and to preserve biodiversity.