BNP Paribas in Portugal
BNP Paribas has been present in Portugal since 1985 and it is the only operational branch of a French Bank as well as one of the largest foreign institutions.
With more than 1200 employees BNP Paribas offers a sophisticate range of services and has approximately 1700.000 clients.
BNP Paribas is represented by 3 major segments with 12 legal entities, covering all the main activities of the Group:
- Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB)
- Investment Solution (IS)
- Retail BankingInterview of François Laplace, country manager for BNP Paribas in Portugal ( September 2009)In Portugal, the Group has now been operating for 20 years in a number of business areas. François Laplace, you are the country manager for BNP Paribas in Portugal, so can you first of all introduce Portugal to us?
We have been established in Portugal since 1985. Today, we have 11 units working here, with five banks, or banking licences, one insurance company, four finance companies and two straightforward commercial companies, Arval car hire and Ségécé Klépierre shopping centre management. Slightly over 1,000 people are currently working for the BNP Paribas Group in Portugal. The main employers are firstly the Cetelem-Cofinoga “consumer loans” business and then our BPSS Securities Services dual office.What challenges does the group face in Portugal?
Whether it is for corporate or private customers, we are able to offer the full range of our products. Therefore, the two main challenges are firstly being confident that the group's innovative spirit is always felt here as it is elsewhere – for example, for Arval we launched a particularly worthwhile online auction business – and besides innovation, ensuring that cross-selling is implemented for corporate customers, small businesses, and private customers alike, and a third challenge is excellence. BNP Paribas Securities Services chose Lisbon as the base for its European dual office, and the whole group here in Portugal benefits from the operations that they have brought to the market. Without, of course, overlooking Ségécé Klépierre, since BNP Paribas group via Ségécé Klépierre is managing over 13 shopping centres in this country and is a very useful vector for our cross-selling policy I was talking about just now.Interview of François Laplace
(51 ko)Our experience
This strong worldwide presence and market expertise allows our teams to provide clients with:
We have but one ambition in our business: to anticipate the needs of our clients, provide them with creative solutions and build a future with them. Read the leaflet "2011 at a glance"
- Corporate Finance, Capital Markets, Struture Finance e Cash Management - BNP Paribas Branch
- Private Banking - BNP Paribas Wealth Management
- Asset Management - BNP Paribas Asset Management
- Clearing and custody, depositary bank, local transfer agent - BNP Paribas Securities Services
- Insurance - Cardif
- Real estate - Ségécé Klépierre
- Consumer finance - Cetelem
- Property financing -UCI
- Vehicle management services - Arval
- Financial and operating leases - BNP Paribas Lease